"Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is within the power of your hand to do so." Proverbs 3:27
Wednesday, April 29, 2009
Fostering Update
Our file is complete!!! We have completed all of the agency requirements to become foster parents. All 50 hours of training, homework, TB tests, background checks, reference checks, physical exams, proof of insurance, etc! On Tuesday our file will go to Home Study. We should hear from them within the week and schedule a time for them to come and make sure our home is safe for a child. Our recruiter told me that we could have a child by sometime in June. We are so excited! We are also nervous. There is so much that comes with a foster child. We already have people in our lives that have been negative about this process. Which we expected, not everyone understands what fostering is and what it is not. Believe it or not we have heard this a lot: "Oh, I could never do that. I would get too attached and I couldn't give the child back." That really makes me upset! How terrible to say to someone! There is not one ounce of me that would want to give a child back! I think it will most likely be one of the hardest things we will ever do, BUT God has asked us to do this and in Him we will have the strength! Sorry, I had to rant about that! =) For the most part our friends and family have been so supportive. One question we get a lot is whether or not we plan to have our own children. The answer is "yes." This is another area in which we are seeking God's timing. If God does bless us with biological children, I want them to be raised in a home where they know that taking care of children in need is just part of what we do. Who knows what God has planned, but I can't wait to begin this journey! Thank you for your love and prayers!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Oh My Goodness- Anyday now then, right?? I am so excited for you guys and for the little precious love that will be placed in your home!!!
And my, aren't people nosy? Geeze.
Can't wait to meet your little one!! Praying for you guys and the one who will soon be in your home!
Jess ~ so great to hear that you've completed everything. There is a lot to do, huh?!?! I remember the day we finished everything...what a relief. And then the waiting begins. I hope that the agency gets to your home study quickly. There are so many kiddos out there who need a safe & loving home. You'll have a little one in NO time.
God has called you to this amazing ministry. He will give you what you need, when you need it. There will be hard days but the blessings will outweigh them!
People often don't understand the power of their words...just let those roll off your back and remember all the positive things shared :)
Praying for you!
Wow! It's right around the corner. What an exciting time. We are thrilled for y'all!
YES!!! The light at the end of the tunnel! And YES... you will find out who is completely committed to you and your family. And YES... I was JUST talking to my mom about that statement "Oh, I could never do that..." And yes... it is as if they are saying "I could never do that because I would love the child too much and be too devastated when they left, but YOU guys... well... I guess you just won't love them as much so it must just be easier for you".
You know what is a heck of a lot easier-- seeing a HUGE problem in the world, seeing the hurt, abuse, neglect and stepping aside and not doing anything about it because it would be too hard for you, it may break your heart, it may disrupt your life. And sometimes I say that to people who say "Oh I could never...". I say honestly, "Yes, it is hard, but I could never see and know about the things that these kiddos are going through and not offer them up a house to be loved in- even if that is only a few months or years or maybe just a few weeks". And I ALWAYS make sure they know that the joys of having these kiddos completely outweigh the hurt, the sorrow and the grief of losing them. Give them something to think about back to their off-the-cuff remark.
What you guys are doing is NOT easy and it is scary- I have taken in this new little one and I can tell you what... he is definately THE hardest I have had to deal with (just haven't updated my blog to be real life with Bradley yet!!) And when I first read Lacey's comment I thought she said people are "NOISY" (but then am realizing she said "nosy"... but I think "noisy" is appropriate-- people will be "noisy" with their opinions and judgements and comments.
And yet, the only thing you need concern yourself with is TRUTH- and boy, God is "noisy" with His truth about how we should view and care for orphans, isn't He?!?! You will find when you get a kiddo in your home that you are just too busy for those that do not support you and your family- there is just no time, no energy for all of that... and you will surround yourself with people who can uplift you and support you through this journey.
Congratulations... you guys are almost there. A June kiddo-- ahhh... just in time for picnics, and swimming, and summer nights outside in the yard... can you just picture it?!? So happy for you guys!
Yea, this is amazing news. Congratulations and we cant wait to meet the children that God will bless you with and who will be impacted by your godly love and generosity.
Jessica and Mike, we are so excited for you guys to be done with your classes! Eagerly awaiting to hear news of a little one coming soon...Looking forward to those hectic playdates :) (Probably not at Black Walnut cafe though!)
It has been a long journey but you both will be richly rewarded with the love of a child...there's nothing sweeter!
Post a Comment