"Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is within the power of your hand to do so." Proverbs 3:27
Thursday, May 7, 2009
HOME STUDY
Here is a little preview of the room we have been preparing for our foster child. This crib converts into a toddler bed if needed so that we will have what we need for a kiddo that is between 0 and 4 years old!
WE HAVE A DATE! Our home study will begin Saturday, May 16 bright and early at 7am. There is no checklist so I would LOVE advice from you all that have done this before! What are the expectations for our home and what is this interview all about?!?!
I'm a little behind on reading up on blogs, so I was so excited to see that you have a date for your homestudy. It can be so nerve wrecking, because you just don't know what to expect. However, the best advice I can give (other than to pray!) is to just be yourselves. Be honest with your answers. Most of the questions that will be asked are ones that have already been asked of you on paper, just not in person. Your house doesn't have to be perfect...they won't come in with a white glove, etc...they want to see a home.
I'm not sure how your agency will do it, but most of the time, they will interview you separately and then bring you together as a couple. The process can take anywhere from 3 - 6 hours...and again, that just depends on the caseworker handling the homestudy.
Some of the common questions will revolve around: both of your backgrounds, family history, medical history, employment, lifestyle & hobbies, plans for life once child gets to your home (both working, daycare, etc), financial background and of course, discuss in detail why you want to foster. They will also spend quite a bit of time (in most cases) discussing what situations you are comfortable taking and which ones you are not. Be honest. Don't feel like you have to take on something that you don't think you can handle. Only you & Mike know what the Lord has called you to do.
If you have any specific questions, please email me. I know it's always nice to talk to you someone who's "been there/done that", especially with foster care.
I've already got the date marked on my calendar, but praying even now!
How exciting!! You guys are so close to FINALLY getting the opportunity to open your home & hearts to minister to some children who are in desperate need of love & a safe home environment! I will continue to pray for you as you complete the home study! The nursery looks great! I don't know much about Home Studies, but when I interned with CPS and transported children to & from their foster care homes, for the most part the home just needs to be hazard free! You may want to put some safety locks on your cabinets with hazardous chemicals and just take a look around your home and think about it being "child proof" or "kid friendly." You guys are going to do great!! I can't wait to get an update on this exciting journey!
Oh how fun! I was just thinking the other day that I have NO baby things in my house anymore :-( No baby bed, no little bitty potty in the bath room, no sippy cups - I have even stopped freaking if I find an electrical plug without a little plastic cover (they should use MY kids when they test the baby proofing on stuff - they somehow always find a way in!!) Can you believe Cade will be 11 this year and my baby girl 4 years old!!!! Wow - how time flies! So eat it up and enjoy every minute - even the hard ones - one day they will be such precious memories that make you laugh and cry at the very same time. Aren't those the best ones?? :-) Love u ~ Trish
7 comments:
AWWWW, sweet and precious.
I am getting very excited for you guys. What felt like a LOOOONG time to approach is now finally within reach. YEA!!!! This is amazing.
How exciting! Praying for you and Mike, your home study, and the lucky Foster child headed your way!!!
Molly
YEAH!! YEAH! YEAH!! I am so excited for you guys!! Won't be long until you have a sweet little on sleeping in there!!
I am so glad things are getting closer! You should ask my friend Jocelyn about her home study. She would probably love to help you out.
I'm a little behind on reading up on blogs, so I was so excited to see that you have a date for your homestudy. It can be so nerve wrecking, because you just don't know what to expect. However, the best advice I can give (other than to pray!) is to just be yourselves. Be honest with your answers. Most of the questions that will be asked are ones that have already been asked of you on paper, just not in person. Your house doesn't have to be perfect...they won't come in with a white glove, etc...they want to see a home.
I'm not sure how your agency will do it, but most of the time, they will interview you separately and then bring you together as a couple. The process can take anywhere from 3 - 6 hours...and again, that just depends on the caseworker handling the homestudy.
Some of the common questions will revolve around: both of your backgrounds, family history, medical history, employment, lifestyle & hobbies, plans for life once child gets to your home (both working, daycare, etc), financial background and of course, discuss in detail why you want to foster. They will also spend quite a bit of time (in most cases) discussing what situations you are comfortable taking and which ones you are not. Be honest. Don't feel like you have to take on something that you don't think you can handle. Only you & Mike know what the Lord has called you to do.
If you have any specific questions, please email me. I know it's always nice to talk to you someone who's "been there/done that", especially with foster care.
I've already got the date marked on my calendar, but praying even now!
Can't wait to hear all about it!
How exciting!! You guys are so close to FINALLY getting the opportunity to open your home & hearts to minister to some children who are in desperate need of love & a safe home environment! I will continue to pray for you as you complete the home study! The nursery looks great! I don't know much about Home Studies, but when I interned with CPS and transported children to & from their foster care homes, for the most part the home just needs to be hazard free! You may want to put some safety locks on your cabinets with hazardous chemicals and just take a look around your home and think about it being "child proof" or "kid friendly." You guys are going to do great!! I can't wait to get an update on this exciting journey!
Oh how fun! I was just thinking the other day that I have NO baby things in my house anymore :-( No baby bed, no little bitty potty in the bath room, no sippy cups - I have even stopped freaking if I find an electrical plug without a little plastic cover (they should use MY kids when they test the baby proofing on stuff - they somehow always find a way in!!) Can you believe Cade will be 11 this year and my baby girl 4 years old!!!! Wow - how time flies! So eat it up and enjoy every minute - even the hard ones - one day they will be such precious memories that make you laugh and cry at the very same time. Aren't those the best ones?? :-) Love u ~ Trish
Post a Comment