Friday, August 27, 2010

The Emotional Roller Coaster of Being a Foster Parent


The past couple of weeks have been absolutely emotionally draining. There have been days where I have questioned why a lot! Why are we fostering? Why are we choosing to put ourselves in awkward situations? Why are we choosing to have our hearts broken? And the answer to all of these questions is "God asked us to."

We attended a "Family Conference" last Monday where we met Mariah's biological parents, the other foster parents, CPS workers, etc... Mariah's bio mom said, "YOU have Mariah?!?" as soon as she laid eyes on me. Not a fun feeling! Everyone in the room was African American with the exception of Mike and I. Normally that wouldn't bother me except that bio mom asked if Mariah could have a black foster family. I WAS ENRAGED! She didn't care that we have been loving her daughter, taking care of her and keeping her safe! Believe it or not another foster mom said she would take Mariah. And that was that! They started the process to move Mariah. My heart was broken. I was saddened by the fact that Mariah would be moving again... though it was a positive thing that she would be with her siblings. We were preparing ourselves for Mariah's departure and then a week later I get a phone call that the other foster placement was not approved. I was THRILLED! So our sweetheart will be here for a while. God is so good! The next court date is September 2, so hopefully we will learn more then.

Mariah in her "Little Black Dress" from Ms. Tracy! (I broke my camera so all of my pictures are from my phone... blurry, blah!)


I LOVE this little girl's smile! It's almost always crooked, but SOOO cute!

ECI came out this week and they thrilled at how well Mariah is doing. She does not qualify for services. She is now 11 pounds 2 oz. and 21 inches long! GROWING quickly! I can't believe just a couple of months ago is was only 6 pounds 12 oz. and 18 inches...

Just pray for our hearts. There are days when I don't think I can take anymore and thankfully God gets us through!

6 comments:

Kristyn said...

I'm glad that you guys are fostering and answering God's request. Kids are being loved and taken care of because of you. I can't....well I can, but still, I can't believe that her mother said that. How rude! She should be grateful that someone IS taking care of her child when SHE couldn't! UGH! Anyways, she's beautiful. I'm sure it is tough, but I'm sure you and Mike are doing a GREAT job!

Court said...

You are doing an amazing job ~ loving that sweet girl. God knows that she needs to be with you and Mike right now...and that's why she hasn't been moved. It's never easy and it won't get any easier but the Lord's blessings will be so much sweeter for answering His call. Love you!

Jocelyn said...

you guys are awesome... and i'm crying as i write this because i'm exhausted and my emotions are running wild... and i hear and feel your words. if only her mother KNEW you... rest ASSURED that mariah is in the exact perfect place and if we were talking in person right now, i'd probably add a few more thoughts about what was said and decided at that meeting... buuuuut... God knew where she needed to be- right where she is!!
so proud of you guys for putting aside what so many cannot and saying YES- we will put our hearts out there, we will answer the command to care for these who are orphaned temporarily, we will give our all.
and- WOW on the weight gain- this is such a huge focus over here, so i know what a big deal that is... well done mariah, well done momma!

Jennifer said...

THis side of the "richey" family is praying for a solid outcome in Mariahs case.. :) We love you and pray for you daily. Unfortunately I can believe the mother said that to you- ITs been documented here in Georgia that some "raceS" only want that "race" to have their children.. ITs amazing that racism still exists.. The fact is GOd placed her in YOUR home. There is a reason she is there with you. Ya'll are doing an amazing job. :)

ashley said...

I can't imagine the emotional roller coaster you're enduring, but God will bless you for being faithful & following his call. Mariah is one blessed little girl! It doesn't surprise me that her Mother said something so hateful. It's like they forget about the fact that someone else is taking care of their child because they can't get their act together. I will be praying for you & Mike tomorrow as you go back to court.

Lacey said...

Hey Jess....been thinking about you guys. Anything new??