Mike and I get to start our foster care classes next week!!! We will be in class next Thursday, Friday, and Saturday from 8:30-4:30 for the first series of classes. I want to share some of the research I have been doing about foster care just to put it into perspective. I have broken the information into National stats and State stats.
In 2005:
- 513,000 children were in foster care
- 48% were female (243,964)
- 41% were Caucasian (208,537)
- 94,650 were in group homes or other institutional settings
- 4,445 foster children ran away
- 51,000 children were adopted
- 114,000 children eligible for adoption and waiting for homes
- Each week, nearly 60,000 children in the United States are reported as abused or neglected.
- 40% of responding child welfare officials reported increases in the number of children placed in foster care due to parental methamphetamine use in the past year
-Children whose families do not receive appropriate treatment for alcohol and other drug abuse are more likely to end up in foster care, remain in foster care longer, and reenter foster care once they have returned home.
Sources: Adoption and Foster Care Reporting and Analysis System (AFCARS)Casey Family ProgramsChapin Hill Center for ChildrenChild Welfare Information Gateway: http://www.childwelfare.gov/ Child Welfare League of America (CWLA)
Facts About Children in Foster Care in Texas
Total Population: 31,398 children were in the substitute care system in Texas on August 31, 2006. Most children are placed temporarily in foster care due to parental abuse or neglect.
Gender: Male: 53% Female: 47%
Race and Ethnicity:
Black (non-Hispanic) 28% 12%
White (non-Hispanic) 32% 43%
Hispanic 38% 41%
Am. Indian/Alaska Native (non-Hispanic) 0% 0%
Asian/Pacific Islander (non-Hispanic) 0% 2%
Unknown/Other 2% N/A
2 or More Races (non-Hispanic) N/A 2%
Length of Stay: The average length of stay for children in care on September 30, 2003 was 25 months.
Sources: Texas Department of Family and Protective Services. 2006 Data Book.
http://www.dfps.state.tx.us/About/Data_Books_and_Annual_Reports/2006/databook/default.asp
U.S. Census Bureau, Census 2000. American FactFinder. http://factfinder.census.gov
6 comments:
We are still looking into foster care adoption. We have had financial problems this year. I pray that after all is said and done this door will open for us. I looked at those figures and just cried. :) Good luck in those classes and keep us posted on how they are going! Are you taking IMPACT or MAPP?
I'm so excited that you guys will be starting the training process so soon!! Praise God!! I can't wait to see how this journey unfolds!! We will be praying for you guys!!
Sad, Sad, Sad. What a blessing you will be to the child that gets placed in your home. I'm sure they are already feeling your prayers. :) Thanks for sharing...you know this stuff is interesting to me. Maybe someday....
Yay! So happy to hear you don't have to wait another month before starting classes! I am looking forward to our future playdates! :) These stats are unreal...hard to fathom these are babies and kids. The little one coming to you has no idea of the love that awaits them! You all are in my thoughts and prayers!
Wow - there are so many in need! Between the stuff I hear about foster care here and adoption over seas - it just seems so overwhelming! It is good to know such wonderful, caring people that are doing something to help! It keeps me on my toes looking for what God says my part in all of this is - thank you for sharing this with us!
I am so excited y'all got in to the class! (But we'll miss you in Austin!) And wow--those statistics are astounding. It's heartbreaking how many children are without homes and families. Thank you for posting those!
Post a Comment