"Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is within the power of your hand to do so." Proverbs 3:27
Tuesday, January 6, 2009
We finally have an update!
We finally got news regarding our foster parent application yesterday. I know that I have told some of you but this process has already become quite interesting! I have called the agency numerous times and left numerous voice mails and have not received any phone calls back, until yesterday! They did receive our application but there is a hold on it because Mike has not lived in Texas for over 5 years. They need a background check from California before we can go any further. I just wish they had called to tell me that! Now we are starting the process of getting the done. There is just one piece of information I need from our agency before I can send off for the background check and they haven't called me back! I just pray that once we are certified through this agency that we will be able to talk to someone when we need them. I did learn a lot yesterday from the recruiter I spoke with. Though I have to say the conversation left me feeling a bit unsettled. She explained to me that there are very few children that come to them as a single child, most are part of a sibling group. I am not sure if we are ready to go from zero children to multiple so quickly. She really made me feel bit guilty to be honest. She said that if Mike and I weren't so rigid with our expectations then we would have a child much more quickly. Right now we have stated that we have no ethnicity preference or gender preference but would like just one to start. I feel like that is enough..... just pray for us please! I want to do exactly what God is asking us to do but I also don't want to be guilted into more than we need at this time. Thank you so much friends and family for your support, it means more than I could ever say in words!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Jessie-- We need to talk via the phone.. The agency we were hoping to work with told us the same thing! When we told them that we didn't have a vehicle large enough or a home large enough for a sibling group we got looked at very funny. I am starting to think that this is just part of what they tell couples... Anyways.. Keep your eyes on the prize and don't worry with words.. :)
jennifer
How bizarre that she would make you feel guilty about that. I hope you didn't let that get to you, because it's nonsense and what you and Mike are doing is amazing. If you guys feel like one is the right thing, then go with that, and then you can always expand when you're ready! We will continue praying for this process! I can't wait to hear more.
Finally they called you back- YEAH!! I am so excited for you guys. Do not feel bad about only wanting one child. You guys are doing a wonderful thing and that special little kid is going to be so lucky to have you and MIke. I can not wait to meet the little one that gets placed in your home. :)
Wow - it sounds like a stressful process! Definitely don't be guilted into anything! One child is a big adjustment and you want to make the best home for them possible. One of the things I learned working with CPS (I worked at a women's shelter) is there are some very disgruntled employees working there. It's really not their fault - they don't get paid near enough and they have HUGE workloads. After a few years it is like they become desensitized to the whole process. Things I was horrified at - they acted like no big deal. Just try and remember that when you are talking to someone who is less than nice :) I will keep you and your family in my prayers!
OK-- what your recruiter said... UGGHH... I hate that they do this. They SAY that because that is a huge need- placing siblings, and it's hard to do. BUT... there are definately "single" children out there (I know 1st hand). When I went through the process they were really pushing older sibling groups and outright said that there were not single babies out there, that there were really only older children or children in sibling groups. It really, really freaked people out. The children are out there. "Single" kids are out there, babies are out there, sibling groups are out there... the children are out there. Do NOT feel guilty for what you feel you can handle. MY suggestion... become VERIFIED for more and a larger age range than you really want. I am verified for 2 ages 0-5. When I first started, I NEVER thought I would have 2 at one time and I still know that I don't really want to take on a child older than 3 years old at this time in my life and really (as is apparent) like to work with the babies... and... my home has NEVER been empty in a year and a half and BOTH my openings have been filled up pretty much for an entire year. Heck- Kenny left and I got 3 calls in a WEEK!!
Hold on to what you feel you are called to. The recruiters are told what child population to "push" and stress.
I am sorry you are not getting such great response from them, (I wish I knew who your recruiter was) but I have had SUCH great reception w/ the clinicians. If you are getting no response from the recruiter, call the main line and ask to talk with the supervisor... don't worry about being pushy, they need to do their job and will loose great parents if they don't respond and get on the ball!! I called my recruiter ALL the time and in the beginning she was a little slow, so I did talk to the supervisor... and that fixed things and my recruiter still knows me by name when I see her at trainings (after a year and a half!!)!!
Hi there...you don't know me but we have mutual friends. I found you through my friend Jocelyn and have been wanting to comment but it's been a little crazy around here. Funny thing though...my friend Melissa Fritsche (known each other since highschool and now work together) came up to me today saying how one of her friends was going through what sounded like our story...and long story short - it was you....I told her that I actually came across your blog. Anyway - the blog world is a very small world.
My husband and I are in the process of trying to adopt our foster daughter. We've had her for 6 months, since she was 18 months old. However, it took us almost 18 months to get a placement of any kind. Now, I say this because the first agency we worked with took almost a year to get us licensed. I don't know who you're working with...but honestly, be persistent. You are the only ones who can make it happen. They have so many people to talk to but you only have that one person to interact with. I know your frustration. My husband had the same issue (living in TX less than 5 years, from CA).
They will always try to push for the greatest need. Only you can decide what you feel comfortable with. The Lord will give you what you can handle. Do not let anyone tell you otherwise. We started off with wanting one as young as possible, and 18 months later were open to 2 up to the age of 5. In the end, the Lord blessed us with one...and Maggie definitely doesn't fit the normal statistics either (under the age of 2, white female).
I would love to chat with you more. I have a blog but it is private, due to Maggie's security. If you'd like to take a look at our journey, just let me know. I'd be happy to invite you. Also, feel free to email me personally, if you'd like to talk with someone who has "been there, done that". My email is court_thompson1@yahoo.com.
I want to encourage to not give up, to not get discourage and to keep pressing on. God is going to bless you both for your willingness to be faithful to His call. I can't wait to see what happens! ~ Courtney
Post a Comment